What is the most common ankle sprain in basketball?
The “classic” ankle sprain, the most common injury in basketball, is an injury to the lateral stabilizing ligaments of the ankle. Three ligaments form the lateral ankle ligamentous complex, but the anterior talofibular ligament, or ATFL, is the most commonly injured , above.
Why do I keep spraining my ankle in basketball?
This common injury often happens if a player rolls or twists their ankle the wrong way, damaging the ligaments in the joint.
What are the three ways to get an ankle sprain?
Some common causes of ankle sprains include:
- Wearing the wrong type of shoes for your sport. This puts you at risk of twisting your ankle or even falling.
- Placing unusual stress to the ligament. This could be from walking or running on an uneven surface, jamming your foot, or twisting your ankle in an odd way.
How do I stop my ankle from hurting when I play basketball?
The best initial treatment for acute injury is ice, rest, compression, and elevation of the injured extremity. See your podiatric or family physician as soon as possible. When bothered by a chronic injury, reduce activity level in accordance with the severity of the pain.
How often do basketball players sprain their ankle?
Most ankle sprains were lateral (n = 638, 80.2%). The incidence of ankle sprain among players with a history of prior ankle sprain in the past year was 1.41 times (95% CI, 1.13-1.74) the incidence of those without a history of ankle sprain in the past year (P = .
What do you do if you jam your finger in basketball?
- Apply ice for 15 minutes each hour to bring down the swelling. If you don’t have ice, you can soak the finger in cold water instead.
- Keep your finger elevated above chest level.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) to ease any discomfort.
How do NBA players treat sprained ankles?
A simple ankle sprain is generally treated with ice, anti-inflammatory medicine and support for the ankle with a wrap, ankle brace or walking boot. Crutches may be needed to avoid putting any weight through on injured area.
Which sport has the most sprains?
1. Basketball causes the most injuries. Basketball is a popular sport—more than 26 million youngsters ages 12 to 17 play it—but it causes the most injuries for players of all ages.
How do you treat a basketball injury?
Treating Basketball Injuries
- P.R.I.C.E. …
- Protect: The injured area should be protected with a splint, brace or crutches.
- Rest: The player should rest the injured area.
- Ice: Cool the area with a cool pack or ice bag to prevent swelling and pain.
Can you play basketball on a rolled ankle?
It depends on the sport, the position within the sport and how severe the sprain. Prior to being cleared to play, an athlete should be able to hop on the ball of the foot 10 times. This can be done with the ankle braced or taped. On average return is 2-6 weeks, with high ankle sprains 6-10 weeks.
How long does it take an NBA player to recover from a sprained ankle?
Recovery is usually very quick following a sprained ankle where the injury is on the outside of the foot. Most athletes can go back to full training after 1-3 weeks. It can take longer if there is considerable damage to the ligaments, and some people suffer from stiffness and pain for several months.